Hi everyone! Today I’ve got a guest post from fellow personal finance & lifestyle blogger Richard from at Simple Living Australia. Make sure to follow him on Twitter @SimpleLivingAus. I’ll be back soon with a post (or a few) about my wedding this past weekend soon! – Mo’ Houses
If you’re a welfare recipient or low income earner, you know how welcome benefits like food stamps or assistance with energy bills can be. At a time when you are in a tough situation, welfare can programs can make a huge difference in your life. There are some things, though, that welfare programs don’t help you with. If you need to make your mortgage payment or keep gas in your car’s tank, you simply need cold, hard cash.
Getting financial help for people on welfare can be limited, especially when it comes to loans. In addition, earning cash quickly can be challenging. You may not have time to find a new job before your mortgage payment is due. You need to have gas in your car to drive to interviews to find that new job. So, where can you get the money that you need to take care of life’s necessities? Here are a few easy ways you can earn cash today:
- Have a garage sale. Do you have clothes your children have outgrown or old toys that your children no longer play with? These items are perfect fodder for a garage sale. Throw in an unwanted piece of furniture or an old appliance and you will have one of the busiest garage sales in the neighborhood. Don’t be discouraged if you live in an apartment and can’t have a garage sale at your home; ask a friend if you can borrow their yard.
- Sell more expensive items on Craigslist. If you’ve got a handful of items that you need to sell, Craigslist can be your best friend. Posting an ad there for larger items like a video game console or a piece of furniture will be seen by hundreds of potential buyers. Don’t have any larger items? Try grouping collections of smaller items like toys or clothing into lots and listing them. Always be careful about arranging meetings with buyers to ensure your safety.
- Start a service-based business. The idea of starting your own business may sound daunting, but starting a business really doesn’t have to be complicated. Do you have a lawnmower? After you mow your yard, why not offer to mow a few extra yards to earn some cash. Do you love kids? Maybe you can offer babysitting services to your friends or family. Starting a small, service-based business is great because there is little or no cost to you. You just have to spend a little time and effort.
- Sell your plasma. As long as you are healthy and aren’t squeamish at the sight of blood, you can sell your plasma to earn a little extra money. Most large cities have plasma centers that are more than willing to pay you for donation, and you get to help people who are facing medical emergencies. It’s a win-win situation for everyone. Some centers will allow you to donate as often as twice per week so you can maximize your earnings.
- Share your home with a renter. While apartment dwellers may not be able to open their homes up to additional roommates, homeowners can often turn a spare bedroom into extra cash. You may even be able to find a friend of a friend or family member to live in your spare room to eliminate any concerns about welcoming a stranger into your home. Just be sure to take the time to put together a detailed lease agreement to avoid any confrontations with a potential boarder.